A professional SEO consultant is always informed about the latest search engine optimization and marketing trends, as well as the techniques and tools you can implement to improve the online presence of the companies you work for.
Ok, but what is an SEO consultant?
A web consultant is a specialist with vast knowledge and experience in the methods and techniques that will benefit the position of your clients’ web pages.
Many people still believe that SEO is a once-in-a-lifetime task that is done and functional forever. Not so, SEO is a series of activities that must be carried out over time, using a series of resources and tools that facilitate success.
This requires an SEO consultant who will basically be present at all stages of the web :
- In the initial phase, during the planning and technical development of the website. In this phase, the SEO consultant supervises the SEO technical aspects that will allow the website to be technically prepared to fight for the main positions and keywords of the sector in which the company operates. It is the stage of planning and development of SEO on-page.
- After the launch of a web page, it is required to reinforce the authority of the domain. So the SEO consultant will find himself performing off-page SEO actions: building quality links as well as planning SEO re-optimizations to improve initial results. The links say that they are “popularity indicators”, if we stop producing them, we risk that the search engines consider that the website is no longer popular and begin to drop positions. Again, the presence of the SEO expert is vital to develop a sustainable quality link strategy (which in today’s SEO also involves a content marketing strategy).
What is the importance of an SEO Specialist?
Today, “everyone” spends it on the cell phone and on the internet. It is increasingly common that when we require a product or service we simply go and “google”. When the search engine shows us a list of pages in response to our search, we usually click on the first results, we ask for information, we investigate a bit, here, there and we make a purchase or pre-purchase decision based on those first results.
That is where the importance of search engine optimization lies: that the web page appears in the first results when a user is looking for a specific service, product or information. It is also right there where the importance of an SEO specialist lies: creating and developing the strategy that will make it possible for the website to appear in those first results.
Profiles of an SEO consultant
Although in theory, an SEO consultant is aware of all the aspects that involve search engine optimization, in practice it is common to have a preference or be more developed in one area than in another.
Within the profiles of a consultant or SEO specialist, we can find the technical SEO consultant, the creative or content creator, the analyst, and the strategic one.
Consultant with a Technical SEO profile
This type of SEO specialist profile is involved above all in the planning, development, and implementation of a website, as well as in specific on-page optimizations once the site has been implemented.
It is characterized by having knowledge of web development and technical aspects related to updated algorithms of search engines.
It is one of the pillars of web positioning since any page that claims to appear in the first organic search results must meet certain requirements, which the technical seo expert handles perfectly. And not only do you know them but you can implement them ideally for each project.
Knowledge of technical SEO.
At different levels of complexity you should be able to:
- Identify and correct those factors that prevent the correct indexing of a website in its entirety.
- Likewise, it is able to correctly optimize the html tags: <title>, <img>, <meta name = ”description”>, <h1> <h2> <h3> and rel = ”nofollow”
- Identify and successfully implement canonicals as well as the <link rel = ”next / prev”> tag
- Clean and keep optimized Html code for loading speed in browsers
- Plan and structure the architecture of a website, with shallow URLs, easy to remember by people, and indexable by search engines.
- Identify and fix broken links
- Use all metatags relevant to search engines. Or avoid them
- Identify, use, and create sitemap files for search engines.
- Correctly configure the .htacces file
- Effectively configure the robots.txt file for the correct indexing of a site
- Implement microdata and bookmarks to benefit from rich snippets
- Set up a custom 404 error that manages to retain the user on the site
- Plan and carry out a successful website migration
- Recognize the different HTTP status codes that each page must resolve
- Correctly implement W3C recommendations
- Effectively implement mobile optimizations based on user agents
- Identify and implement the appropriate techniques for optimization in different languages
- Extract information from web pages in an automated way to work with that information
Consultant with creative SEO or content profile
This type of SEO consultant profile is closely related to getting the most out of a website’s content.
At this level, the SEO specialist is able to analyze, plan and implement a content strategy that allows identifying what the user is looking for in the different stages of the purchase and therefore what the website must offer to meet these search needs.
Creative SEO insights from an SEO specialist
An SEO expert with this profile has extensive knowledge and experience in:
- Keyword analysis
- Requirements to index content correctly and in its entirety
- Landing page optimization
- Proper use of keywords on the website
- Correct content format
- Generate unique and quality content
- Identify semantic fields on a web page according to your niche
- Recognize variations of semantically related keywords
- Implement successful calls to action
- Implement social media to enhance organic positioning
SEO consultant with analyst profile
All SEO consultants – at least professionals – have a great deal of this profile. The reason is simple: an SEO specialist must be able to analyze the behavior of search engine users on a web page in order to implement optimizations on it.
This, which is said to be easy, requires not only knowledge of web analytics tools but a very high level of analysis, in order to extract the appropriate data, analyze it, associate it with each other or with specific user actions. And last but not least, having the ability to identify the importance – or absence of it – of each action in order to provide a correct interpretation of the data.
An SEO expert developed in this profile has a very high level of expertise in analysis and is able to discover things that are difficult to see at first glance.
Knowledge of an expert with SEO analyst profile
Many of them are oriented to the measurement and analysis of data -related to user behavior and SEO-, among the knowledge they have are:
- Use and implementation of Google Analytics at the intermediate-advanced level
- Identification of metrics in GA
- Use and interpretation of data in Search Console
- Identification of the different sources of traffic and obtaining relevant information from them
- Keyword monitoring
- Competition analysis
- Using spreadsheets for data analysis
- Use, interpretation, and analysis of data and analytical tools
- Setting goals GA
- Campaign monitoring with the integration of AdWords and URLs with tags
- Regular expressions in GA
SEO consultant with strategic profile
This represents the profile of most SEO consultants since it is regularly the one that has reached a high level in all other profiles and has also managed to develop skills that allow them, on the one hand, to understand the economic repercussions that the strategies imply SEO and on the other, solving any type of situation in front of a client.
Therefore, we will find that an SEO expert with this level will have the following knowledge, from least to most complex:
- Knowledge of measurement strategies such as Semrush, Majestic SEO, and Ahrefs.
- Projects management
- Sector knowledge and visionary perspective
- Training capacity for your work team
- Drafting of documents and reports
- Development and presentation of dashboards
- Customer relationship management
- Expectations management
- Crisis management
- Knowledge of the digital marketing sector
Roles and responsibilities of an SEO expert
In a way, when describing the knowledge of the different profiles that an SEO specialist may have, the functions they carry out to a lesser or lesser extent are also described.
Summarizing among those functions and responsibilities that an SEO specialist carries out we have:
- Successfully plan and implement on and off-page optimization of a website
- Analyze the client’s objectives and design an SEO strategy to achieve them
- Work to achieve those goals within an approved budget
- Identify optimizations to be carried out and implement them
- Plan and identify inbound marketing strategies
- Carry out the necessary actions to reach the first positions in the planned keywords
- Be up to date on search engine algorithm updates
- Being part of forums and SEO communities that allow you to have more tools to achieve your clients’ objectives
- Plan and implement a successful linking strategy
- Monitor and measure website performance and optimize if necessary
- Correct any type of technical SEO error on page and even off-page
- Ensuring the proper functioning of the mobile site
- Plan and create unique, quality content that catches the attention of users
- Create and present periodic dashboards to customers
- Employ social channels to enhance the organic scope of actions
- Employ digital marketing channels to increase brand awareness and achieve goals
- Protect customer website against security issues
- Prevent and fix negative SEO attacks
- Monitor monthly the work done and ensure that progress is in line with the objectives set out in the strategy
- Generate quality organic traffic that allows you to generate leads that become customers
As you may have seen, being an SEO expert requires specialized knowledge in different areas. This implies years of experience in the sector and many, many, many hours of training, practices, and experiments with test pages (every SEO expert has their own pages with which they experiment).
And you, do you know any additional feature or function of an SEO expert?